expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Spark Student Motivation {Student Self Reflection}

I have had a busy week of report cards due and first day of parent conferences.  We finished quite a few conferences yesterday afternoon (half day for students).  It was an exhausting day but I was home by 5:30 and finished ten conferences.  I have twelve more to go next week.  Since we are departmentalized, we scheduled conferences together when we could and are handling some on our own.  Our classrooms are very close to each other in a "pod" so we can always pop in each other's rooms when we don't have another conference going in.  It does get exhausting though with very little time for any breaks!

Of course, since it is Saturday, I wanted to link up a motivational strategy we use with parent teacher conferences for my BBB's linky party at Head Over Heels for Teaching.  Joanne always has the best ideas and I love reading all the link ups each week!
Prior to conferences, we have the students complete a form like this one:
A student survey like this one is an AMAZING tool to have available during parent teacher conferences!  Students rate themselves with smiley faces on many aspects of their performance.  I always remind them to be honest and they almost always are!  It is a great "ice breaker" and discussion topic with parents.  

Parents are less likely to be defensive when you discuss their child's "things to work on" when this list actually comes from their child!  The teacher isn't pointing out their flaws, their child is.  Of course, there are many strengths to be pointed out on this form too and there is space for students to write in what they view as their strengths and things they need to work on.  Having a form like this for students to reflect on their own performance in school is a natural motivator.  Sometimes, just thinking about what we need to work on and what our strengths are motivates us to improve! :)

If you would like a copy of this form, visit my facebook page and the "fans only" tab!
Have a great weekend! :)

5 comments:

  1. I thankfully do not have to do these conferences that you speak of...all at one time. What a fabulous idea to share this with the parents. I am going to do this with my kids anyway because it's awesomeness...just like you my sweet friend!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks! I'm headed to your Facebook page now to grab that sheet. I felt like I needed something more at my conferences besides just my notes and studen work. This is really perfect!! Thanks for sharing (glad I ran into your blog this morning :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing how students fill out forms like this. Sometimes, we are in total agreement. However, some students can be really hard on themselves. Regardless, this is a great tool to use for parent conferences. Thank you for sharing it!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like Mary (from above said). I really like seeing kids do this and the reactions they have with their own actions (or what they perceive). No matter what, this is a great tool for students and teachers to use and learn from.
    Thanks Holly
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Self reflection is a huge motivator! So much to be learned from student responses! Love it! Thanks for sharing and linking up BBB!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete