expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Fun Friday, Book Reviews, and FREEBIE rubric!!

What a busy week!  I am so happy to be home on a Saturday morning catching up on blogging (those papers to grade can wait!).  Kelly from Teaching Fourth is having an amazing new Fun Friday linky party inspired by Farley!  Genius:)



I love the idea of having the students write book reviews and share them with the class.  I have a class of 24 students and we divided October into four book review days (usually on Friday) with six students sharing each time.  The students LOVED it and asked lots of questions.  We first wrote a book review together based on Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing that the whole class read.  I modeled sharing the review without giving away the ending (SO important!).  Here is a sample of a book review a student recently shared:

Students can add books to their "Books I Want to Read" list they keep in their folders as they listen to book reviews.  The students asked many questions and were really interested in so many of the reviews!  I am putting all the book reviews in a binder by our library for students' future reference.


I downloaded these editable binder covers from A Year of Many Firsts and they can be downloaded here for free!  I love them:)

I am also linking up with Peacocks & Penguins to share the rubric I created to use for my book reviews.  


You can download my book review rubric for FREE here at my TPT!

Be sure to check back at Peacocks & Penguins for other rubrics and ways teachers use them in their classrooms!  Have a great weekend everyone:)

8 comments:

  1. I like the Making Math More Fun resource and your Book Reviews! Rubrics are great, too - my husband picks on me and calls me the "Rubric Queen." Thanks for sharing!

    Young Daze in 5th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Students love book reviews. This creates such an excitement about reading! I love your idea of modeling the book review first. Thanks so much for linking up!

    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this idea!! How cool & creative. Kudos to Kelly for coming up with it! And thank you to you for sharing your FUN ideas. I love the idea of book reviews.. I actually just put in an order for Vistaprint and created a few notepads with Book Review on the top with the information for a book review below! Too cool!

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your book review idea!

    Kim
    http://literacysundae.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the book review idea! I'm going to see if I can adapt it for my firsties!
    Carol
    Still Teaching After All These Years

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to house the reviews in a binder...next year kiddos can use it to make just right book choices :)

    Amanda
    Rock Stars At Work

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just getting ready to start book reviews too! Thanks for the freebie! And I want a pair of those boot socks. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got a couple of years before we start book reviews, but it's good to get snippets of what to expect and what to do along the way - so that when we get there I'll have some idea. :o) Thanks for sharing. :o)

    The Paper Maid

    ReplyDelete