It was time on Thursday to "celebrate" the conclusion of our ELA and math state exams! Wahoo!!
We actually used this day as an incentive for everyone to "work their best" on all SIX testing days of ELA and math. This meant checking over work and taking their time, writing complete sentences, showing their work, etc. Most students would do this regardless but there are a few that really need a little push to keep focused and see the little carrot dangling before them:) Also, I think the teachers need an excuse to celebrate!
I blogged about this game on my Five for Friday yesterday but it fits so well with the wonderful Joanne's linky at Head Over Heels for Teaching, that I thought I might as well link it up!
For our celebration class reward, we couldn't have picked a more beautiful day to play some team building games outside. All three 4th grade teachers planned a game and we rotated the groups through each station. My game used some balls that had numbers and polygons drawn on tape and stuck to them.
- There were three of each color and one ball had the team number while the other two had a polygon drawn on the tape.
- Students started with a team ball that had a number on it.
- After they turned around, I threw all the balls into the field.
- Then, they had to have one team member race out to the field to find the ball with their team number (not the polygon).
- Once they brought back that ball, the next team member raced out to get ANY ball of any color that had a polygon drawn on it.
- They had to race the ball to me and name the polygon. If it was correct, they kept it and if not, I threw it back out to the field and the next player went out.
- This continued until I said time was up.
- We added up the team points with the numbered balls worth 5 pts. each and the polygons worth 3 pts. each. Each group played 3-4 rounds in the time we had. They loved it!
- You can draw anything on the tape for review! The possibilities are endless:)
Here they are ready to start the race in teams:)
and running out in the field to get their first ball...
Check back tomorrow evening for my 500 Followers Giveaway! I have been working like crazy to get it all organized (I hope it will be ready!). There are SO many prizes available from awesome, amazing bloggy friends! Yay!!