expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tried It Tuesday (ABC Countdown Calendar-thanks Collaboration Cuties!)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
I'm ALMOST there!!  Students have half days today and tomorrow and teacher's last day is Friday!  I am going to the zoo today with my daughter's Kindergarten class and then her graduation is Thursday morning.  That leaves little time in my classroom to get things done so there will be more shoving of things in the closet that is already a MESS!!  Oh well.  I will be back this summer to give it an overhaul:)
Today, I just had to share something I tried at the end of the year that the students LOVED!
Seriously, the students and teachers had SO much fun with it that it will be a hit for years to come!!!
If you are new to Tried It Tuesday, read more about it here.


My Tried It:
ABC Countdown Calendar
This was my inspiration for sharing the calendar for Tried It Tuesday today:
How sweet is that?  It is obvious that the students have LOVED counting down the last 26 days of school, but this was just priceless and made me realize that I need to share Amanda and Stacia's post in case you have not tried this!  The page above is from a FREEBIE End of Year Brochure for Next Year's Students by the wonderful Rachel at The Tattooed Teacher!

I read about this idea for the end of the year ABC Countdown calendar on the absolutely awesome Collaboration Cuties' blog here (love these BBB's!).  It has to be one of their most popular posts and it seems like EVERYONE knows about it!  However, if I have learned anything, it is that there is always someone who hasn't "heard of" an idea and it is wonderful to keep sharing great ideas!
If you go to the link on their blog, you can download your own editable copy of the calendar.  
Ours looked like this after we edited it:
Basically, each day for the last 26 days of school, there is a special event that begins with that letter.  "A" was the first day (26 days before the end of school) and that was "animal day" where students could bring their favorite stuffed animal to school.  Honestly, I thought some of the days it would get crazy, but it was totally fine!!  The students loved looking forward to what was happening each day and it really livened up the end of the year!  
Here is a picture from "K" for Kite Day:
I know that most teachers are done with their school year already (except you international bloggers), but you could definitely download the calendar and put it on your to-do list for next year!  You won't regret it:)  I always feel like I am a day late and a dollar short being a NY blogger and in school until the end of June!  It seems to work out in my favor though because I read about all the end of year activities in bloggy world and then I can try them before the end of the year!  In August, I read about all the back to school activities, and then I can try them in September!  Yay!!  :)

I would love to read something that you have "tried" recently or in the past that you just HAVE to share!  It can be school or home related:)  Thanks so much for reading and I will have some Monday Made-Its to share soon that I am working on to finish up the year.  
I feel like I need to pull an all-nighter but the end is in sight!!

Here is the Summer Schedule for Tried It Tuesday:
Continue hosting WEEKLY FOR JUNE.
Host JULY ONLY ONCE on the 2nd Tuesday of the Month (July 9th)...
"TWOSDAY"...get it? :)
Go back to hosting WEEKLY IN AUGUST.

Don't forget to check out the amazing giveaway for 300 followers at Head Over Heels for Teaching!  Joanne also has a weekly linky on Saturday (all about motivating students) and I love her creative ideas!

13 comments:

  1. I read about this fun activity and didn't have time to try it with this past year, but definitely will next year! Have fun at the zoo with your daughter. Such great memories!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea because the end of the year can really feel boring (and tiring). I will definitely try this next year with my first graders as a way to re-energize everyone for that final push to the end of the year!
    Thanks for sharing & hosting! :)
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so sweet! Thank you so much for the huge shout out! You did NOT have to do that! I don't know who ever first thought of it, we just adapted it to work for us. I'm so glad that your students are having to much fun with it! Happy last few days!

    Hugs,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, not everyone has seen this! I love this idea and I'll definitely give it a try next year! Thanks for sharing and hosting the party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and am totally doing it next year! You are almost done, hang in there!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sons pre school class did something similar it was way fun for him. Maybe I can try that in middle school, the end of the year is TOUGH!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've found that there is a definite divide between teachers for the countdowns. Personally, I love them because the kids are so engaged and interested. I've never done one myself because of my type of room, but I have partaken in some...normally ones that involve ice cream or movies.

    thanks
    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our fifth grade does the alphabet thing so we don't want to steal their thunder but it is fun. We did a balloon thing that the kids enjoyed. They only got to pop the balloon if the "mystery student" had behaved. The couple of days that we missed it really helped remind them about end of the year behavior.


    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the picture from your kite day. Our kite day was cold and rainy. My teaching buddy and I are loving our ABC countdown, oh and so are our students! I was talking to my BFF last night, she teaches in our hometown, and I was telling her about the ABC countdown and she loved the idea too. See it is a good idea to keep sharing. Enjoy your last few days and your trip to the zoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BLESS your heart for still being in school! Here I am at the beach, reading blog after blog, playing with my girls, nieces and nephews, and already thinking about next year, while you still have three more days! I love the ABC countdown, and always love your tried its. Have a great summer, when you finally get here!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Holly for two shout outs! I appreciate your support with my giveaway and my Saturday linky party! You're the best blogging buddy! How sweet is your student's comment? That's the reward you get when you make memories! They'll remember it forever-their teacher next year will have big shoes to fill! You're almost to the end-hang in there friend!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always thank you for hosting!! It is always so much fun to see all the new things teachers are trying over the week. I love that you guys still do an ABC Countdown-this is definitely going on my "next year" list! What a fun and great way to end the year! You are almost there...hang in there!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete