expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tried It Tuesday (task cards galore!)

Happy Tuesday!  We are on our third week of "Tried It Tuesday" and I am loving all the amazing ideas that bloggers are linking up!!  My pinterest boards are growing rapidly:)
Thank you so much for linking up and for showing support by reading along or commenting:)  
Let's pat ourselves on the back for being innovative, creative teachers always willing to collaborate and learn (hey, if we don't pat ourselves on the back, who will?).
Awesome linky button above designed by the talented Michelle at The 3am Teacher!
What is 'Tried It Tuesday'?
1.  Write a post about any"thing" you have...TRIED (new or old)!
2.  Describe what worked and maybe what didn't work.
3.  Keep it simple and focus on one general topic. 
You can link another idea next week:)
4.  Link your post back to this post.

"Tried It" Ideas....
  • instructional strategy
  • teaching product/resource
  • management strategy
  • technology tool
  • recipe at home
  • personal interest/hobby
  • website 
  • ANYTHING GOES!
I thought this linky would go well with my "Flipper" theme since teaching (well, life!) is all about trying out "things" all the time...borrowing and tweaking them to your style. 
Sometimes it works out and other times it doesn't! 
Posts about things we "tried" in our personal lives are fun to read about too!

My Tried It Tuesday:
Task Cards!
I don't know about you, but this year I have become obsessed with task cards!
They work great for centers and early finishers.
There is something about a little laminated card with a cute graphic 
that makes learning seem so much more "fun"!
Students can self check their answers using a key (they LOVE this and have surprised me with how responsible they have been).
Playing SCOOT with task cards seems more like a game and students BEG to play it!
Differentiation is easy!
Check out the task card Queen (Rachel Lynette) 
and her post here all about task cards!
There are so many wonderful products for task cards out there.  I can't stop buying them!  It is difficult to keep up with the laminating but I know that next year it will be a tad easier:)  
See some of my other posts about task cards:
Idioms and Main Idea
Multiplication, Geometry, Inferencing
Science
Fact/Opinion, Fractions, Compound Sentences, Quotations
Math Word Problems, Fact/Opinion, Sentence Corrections
Today, I started using these great task cards by my sweet friend Laura from Love To Teach with my AIS (academic intervention services) students.  The 20 cards are aligned with the common core and have a review of all types of skills (perfect for the upcoming big test!). 
They are perfect for my struggling students to try one card at a time 
and then check their answer.  
Since the cards address so many skills, it is good practice for the students in determining which operation to use.  They struggle with this!

I hope you will check back what others link up for Tried It Tuesday!  
Link up today or anytime this week:)

12 comments:

  1. I have seen task cards all over the bloggy world! I am going to work on how I will implement them next year, or maybe I'll do a trial run with my kiddos this year at the end of the year. It seems like a great way to differentiate and to give them independent work that is fun!

    Love this linky!! And love you too!! :O)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just getting on the task card train and I am loving it! Thanks for the ideas and for your wonderful linky. Have a great day Holly!

    Tina
    Crofts' Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am going to give task cards a real try next year (along with notebooking and a million other things!). I like the idea of using them for Scoot. I love when kids are so eager for a learning activity because they think it is a game. Thanks so much for hosting.

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love task cards as well. I love seeing the kids in action, great pics!

    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started using task cards this year and can't image teaching without them now. I know what you mean about the laminating. Next year will be so nice since I'll already have so many of them ready to go!

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to learn more about your task cards so I clicked on the link and read the post on the fraction task cards. WOW, they look great! Thanks for hosting this linky. I get so many great ideas.

    Polka Dots & Teaching Tots

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the sweeeetest!!! Let me know if you ever need anything.. but this seriously made my WEEk because I love seeing my products put to good use.. I hope your kiddos enjoyed them and learned from them!! XOXOXO

    I am linking up in a little when I finish my post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of great ideas here - thanks for hosting the linky!

    Jane
    Learning in the Little Apple

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving all the ideas! I have a few task card sets, but I think I need MORE! Thanks for hosting Holly-you are awesome!!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh it's Wednesday here in NZ so I'll have to link up next week! I'll start following your blog now so I don't miss it next week!

    I too use task cards- I find they are brilliant during reading rotations especially. Coupled with learning activities from websites like Brainpop and StudyJams the kids can work with very little supervision or intervention and are thoroughly engaged while I'm busy with other reading groups.

    See you next week!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have so many task cards that I sometimes forget what I've got! The kids love them though so it is well worth it. Great ideas!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just linked up! I am ALWAYS late to the party! Thanks for hosting this great linky! I love reading everyone's ideas.
    Kristy
    2 Peas and a Dog Teaching Blog

    ReplyDelete