expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday Made It (editable schedule cards, journals)!!

I have been a busy little bee and am so excited to be linking up with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made It!!

I have a blue pocket schedule chart and have always written the schedule with dry erase markers on my laminated cards (I am so boring!).  Then, I saw this on pinterest:


I searched high and low for cards with times that were editable and could not find any!  I am not very tech savvy in taking a PDF and altering it.  So, I gave up and made my own.  They are made using powerpoint and can be downloaded for FREE today at here at my TPT store.  They are fully editable in Powerpoint for your schedule needs.  Please kindly leave feedback:)  Also, the cute font shown below may not download for you correctly.  The font is from KevinandAmanda Fonts and there are directions in the download if you want to get that font for free!

I printed and cut out one at home in black and white (they are colorful but my printer is out of colored ink).  I am going to lay them over top of my old schedule cards and use the nice heavy duty packing tape to cover the new label.  You could also print them on cardstock and laminate!


Fits over top nicely with space to tape:)  I can't wait to get them all printed in color!!!



Next, a HUGE thank you to Tonya at Tonya's Treats for Teachers for the "Making Memories in 4th Grade" (she has all grades available for download) printables.  I printed yellow for the ELA group memories and purple for homeroom.  They can go in the same container to save shelf space.  
Here is a picture:




I absolutely fell in LOVE with the idea of Shared Writing Journals and picked up several covers from great bloggers!!  I plan to change them out throughout the year.  I printed the covers and mod podged them on the front of composition books.  They aren't going anywhere!
These cute ones are going to start the year out.  They are from Tara at 4th Grade Frolics (can you tell how much I LOVE her?!?).


This Birthday Shared Journal is from Megan at I Teach, What is Your Super Power?

Finally, I printed out a bunch of specific journals (compare/contrast, persuasion-but forgot to take a picture of those) all from Layla at Fancy Free in 4th:



I liked the idea of somehow keeping track of what students had written in each journal but didn't want to put a sticker on the front.  Also, I thought I wanted students to be able to easily look somewhere on their personal items to see what journals they had written in.  So, this is what I came up with...

Each journal will have a little avery dot in the bottom left corner with a number.  I mod podged the number on and it wasn't dry yet when I took the picture.



When students write in the journal, they will take a sticker from the inside cover and put it on the back of their personal ELA journal.  I taped two sheets on the top so they don't get lost but students can still hold the sheet to pull the sticker off.


They will put the sticker on the back of their ELA journal (shown below).  I am going to have the students decorate the covers of their writing journals based on an idea I saw at Love4thgrade.   I even thought I can put some type of check or comment on the little sticker after I read what they wrote in the shared journal.  It will help me keep track of what I looked at and give suggestions when I conference with students.  Students can also easily check which journals they have completed by looking at the back of their personal journal!


My last project was the popsicle stick idea for calling on students that has been all over Pinterest.  I started by taping half of the popsicle stick (I should have put another piece on to cover the bottom poking out...oops)!


 Then, I flipped the stack over and taped the other side.


I spray painted the top half bright green, let it dry, and painted the back.


I had to move them inside since it started raining on my new paint job!  Next, I peeled off the tape and then lightly covered the green with magazine pages and spray painted the other half pink.  I was done messing with the tape and didn't want it to peel off my green paint (lazy, I know!).  So, the middle is like a mixture of green and pink:)  They remind me of watermelon (which might be great now but I am not sure how I will feel in December).


Next, I had a new idea to give my ELA students letters instead of numbers.  Then, I can have a can for my ELA students and a separate can for the rest of the day (homeroom).  I was very unorganized with this last year because it was the first time we switched for ELA.  Some of my homeroom students are also in my ELA and some are not.  My number system was all messed up when I wanted to draw a student's name in ELA.


Here are my homeroom numbers.  Notice the green at the bottom that I didn't tape off?  Oh well!


In the separate containers ready to go!  After I choose a student, I can place it back in the container pink side up if I don't want to choose them again!



Happy Monday everyone and enjoy what is left of your summer:)

20 comments:

  1. Looks great! You've been busy.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your projects came out great! Love all of your shared journal ideas, especially the accountability stickers!

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have been busy. I had a hard time finding schedule cards with the words I needed and had to create my own as well. All of your projects look great!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I was wondering last night how I wanted to show our daily schedule... this is PERFECT! Once again, you truly amazed me with all your "made its"! :)

    Ashley @ Fierce in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just downloaded the schedule cards.... they do not download like they are shown.

    Ashley @ Fierce in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the schedule cards - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the adorable schedule cards! Mine are just boring words on sentence strips. I can't wait to make these work for my room! I like the graphics for ELLs and the different colors. I'll probably make all of my special subjects one color and color code the others. These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful ideas! I have shared journals in my room and can't wait to use them.

    I'd love if you checked out my blog at T is for Teaching :)
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up with me and the shared journals.... This made me SOOO happy! I love the editable schedule cards, I need to make them this week!
    Check out what I made here:
    Fancy Free in Fourth
    Layla

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of shared journals! I think it will help in having a close classroom! I am your latest follower. I would love to have you come by and visit my blog.

    www.ateacherwithoutaclass.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything turned out great!! I love the double colored popsicle sticks! Awesome idea :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your projects all turned out fabulously!

    Dee
    Mrs. B's Nook

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks great! For some reason, I can't get to your schedule cards....it says the page does not exist?? hmmmm....It did the same thing when I clicked on your TPT account as well. HELP! :)

    Thanks for sharing your great projects though!

    ~Sara~
    Ramblings of a Deaf Ed Teacher's Mind...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the schedule cards! I'm not sure if you saw the pocket charts for $1 at Target on my Fabulous Finds post, but they'd be perfect for your schedule cards. Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the idea of the shared journals! - Victoria from love4thgrade.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the shout out! AND for the freebie! LOVE it! Also, I see you do an ELA and a homeroom class too! I always like reading how other teachers do things in their room to break up two different classes! Color coding is great!

    Tonya
    Tonya’s Treats for Teachers
    I’m having a giveaway! Come on over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have just discovered your blog and have become your newest member! I have enjoyed reading your post and especially love your stool on your last post! If you get a chance, check out my new blog at teachingfourth.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lots of great projects finished. Your little colored stickers with the numbers are so clever. I will definitely have to borrow it.

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your journals turned out great! I need to mode podge mine even though I used sticker paper. I think it'll help keep the cover nice for a little while longer!

    Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete