expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Tried It Tuesday {Story Stones}

This time of the year is always so busy! As my children are growing, we are on the go, go, go!!! T-Ball started last week for my 4 year old and it is the home stretch before the spring recital for my daughter who has her 7th birthday coming up. Every night of the week there is something going on, but I have always been a busy person and feel like I get more done on the run. This weekend I have a karate tournament, my husband is in a two day basketball tournament, my daughter's birthday party is Sunday, and of course there is the normal tumbling, dance, and karate classes on Saturday and Sunday.
Whew!  I'm just exhausted by the time I sit down at 9:00 every night!

I'm going to leave this Tried It Tuesday open for two weeks in the hopes that I can actually write a few other blog posts in the meantime besides this link up. 
I think everyone is feeling the crunch!
It's Time for Tried It Tuesday! 
What have you tried at school or home?
My Tried It:
Story Stones
This is an idea I blogged about way back in 2012, but the post continues to receive a lot of hits. I just recently brought my story stones out again for a work on writing rotation and the students love them just like they did last year! There must be something about holding those smooth stones or the uniqueness of it, but it gets the students motivated to write. At this time of the year, I'll take anything that will work!

I made these Story Stones inspired Tara at 4th Grade Frolics who was inspired by Red Bird Crafts!  Their stones were beautiful and hand drawn, but I am not very artistic! I didn't want to try to draw my own pictures, so I just cut pictures out of magazines and mod podged them on the stones.  

First, I gathered stones from our local beach on Lake Erie and washed them.
 Next, I mod podged magazine cutouts on the stones and let them dry.
 I also laminated the story stones task cards that I downloaded from Cassandra at Adventures in Room 5 here.
Close to two years later, the mod podge has held up beautifully and the stones look as good as the day I made them (even after being handled by dozens of students!). Score!!

Stop by and check out this awesome giveaway filled with resources for the end of the year!

Have a great week everyone! 


7 comments:

  1. This is such a cool idea!! Make sure you get the book, "If You Find a Rock" to read- it would go so perfectly with this idea! :)
    xoxo
    jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story stones! Cool and different.

    I feel your busy life. We are the same way here, baseball and tball keep us hopping!!!

    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a neat idea. I should send my kids out on a treasure hunt for some rocks. I could make it an all day adventure. Just kidding! There is something written in my calendar....every.single.day from now until the end of time...which is actually just June 6th, but it feels like f-o-r-e-v-e-r from now! XOXOX
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh....yet another way to use mod podge! Love it!!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! I am not artistic enough to draw on them either so I think I will have to steal your mod podge idea - which I have a lot of since my epic clipboard fail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It IS definitely a crazy BUSY time for sure! I love the stone idea - might be a great summer project?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I've seen the story stones before, but never thought about cutting out magazine pictures!

    ReplyDelete