expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tried It Tuesday {Workout Motivation}!!

Since I began Tried It Tuesday last spring, I have always blogged about school or blogging related "Tried Its".  My vision for "Tried It Tuesday" is to share about ANYTHING you have tried and most people share educational related things, but I love reading the personal Tried Its too!  I thought I would share a personal Tried It this week, so you may want to skip this one if you are only looking for teacher stuff:)  


My Tried It:
Workout Motivation
So, you may know that I have two children (ages 3 and 6) and in terms of exercising, I have always had little motivation to do much on my own.  Being involved in dancing and cheerleading throughout middle school, high school, and college was basically my exercise.  I was pretty fortunate to not have weight issues growing up, although I was actually teased in middle school for being too thin.  The boys used to call me "toothpick" and I was super slow to develop.  So, yes, there is a downside to being "thin" growing up!  Anyway, two kids later and no more dancing and cheerleading, I have put on the pounds over the years.  I have scoliosis and it is very important to keep my core strong, otherwise I get severe back pain.  I would do workout videos sporadically and my physical therapy exercises because I didn't want to be in pain.  However, it really wasn't enough.  I can't stand running (won't even try it!) and my legs feel as if they will fall off when I ride a bike.

Two years ago, I decided to try a kickboxing class with some friends and we all loved it!
Here is an amazing quote (no, this is not me in the picture!).
Our instructor is amazing and having friends to go with is super motivating.  It is a great stress relief to hit and kick things and we are always learning something new so it is never boring.  I love the challenge too!  Last April I decided to try karate as well since it was the hour right before kickboxing and I was already there on those nights.  I go two nights a week from 7-9pm and sometimes on Saturday mornings.  I love the late times at night because the kids are sleeping during most of it.  Although, I am quite tired when I get home but having an exercise routine really does give you more energy overall!  My husband is so supportive and I am really grateful.

I am so proud that I just earned my yellow belt last week in karate!  There was a half hour test where I had an endurance test and had to perform all the kicks and strikes on command while being out of breath from the endurance test.  It was exhausting!
Here is a me proudly sporting my new belt:)

If you are thinking of trying something new for motivation in your personal life but are scared, keep this quote in mind:
Thanks for reading my personal story and I hope it will inspire you to give something new a try!

17 comments:

  1. Wow! Motivation is key to exercising! I have a hard time finding time to work out but make it by getting up super early in the morning and walking in the evenings with my family. I love the family time we have just being out and about!

    Congratulations on the yellow belt! What an awesome accomplishment!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO GIRL! I am impressed! I seriously need to get up off my rear-end and do something. I fight with my pants every single morning and am miserable all day. If I could karate chop my Diet Coke habit...that would probably be a great start!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You CAN karate chop that Diet Coke habit! I had the most unimaginable diet soda habit. I stopped cold turkey 7 weeks ago and I've not had any problems with it. I traded soda for Crystal Light and it's been good. I wasn't sure I could do it because I love the bubbles, but it's all good in the 'hood!

      Ali
      Teaching Powered by Caffeine

      Delete
  3. Holly, you never cease to amaze me! I am seriously going to move to New York just so I can be your neighbor.

    Tina
    Crofts' Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! That is fantastic! My girls are 6 and 4, and it's only recently that I feel like I can add a consistent workout routine. But you are right - motivation is KEY! Although it scares me half to death, I signed up for two adult dance classes at my daughters' studio. That way I am committed to at least once a week. :-) Looking forward to hearing more about your karate!

    Corrina
    From Mrs. Allen's Teaching Files

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I am so impressed - KARATE?! Good for you for making the commitment and taking time to stay fit. It could probably be considered one of the better gifts we can give our children!
    ~Deb
    Crating Connections

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job Danielson! or should it be Hollyson?! Very, very cool. Two hours twice a week is quite the commitment. So what belt comes next?

    Also...the supportive husband is so important.

    Matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wrote about the same thing! Not kickboxing, but working out!

    LOVE THAT QUOTE!!!

    Thanks for sharing!!!

    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are awesome, Holly! What a great accomplishment! I've been trying really hard to make sure to continue to workout now that the school year is in full swing....so far so good, fingers crossed I can keep it up! Posts like these help keep me motivated to go run. :)
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! You are a great motivation for me to get off this couch and start working out! Thanks and keep up the awesome work!

    -Amanda @
    Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing more info about how you stay motivated and fit. Congrats on the yellow belt - I bet your students are impressed with your moves too! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's AWESOME Holly! I am still going strong with Cross Fit, thanks to my friend and my coach :) It is amazing how a little motivation can go a long way!

    Jess
    I {Heart} Recess

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you, Holly! I think that is so awesome! I love those quotes.

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! You are amazing. I have a hard enough time dragging myself out the door for a walk each evening. I know what you mean about motivation. My kids love our evening walks (which we just started per order of my doctor). They get my butt out the door.

    Kim
    Quinnessential Lessons

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you Holly! You definitely should be proud-you've motivated me to get on track! I need at least one more week of school under my belt first though-I'm so exhausted I can't even think about doing anything extra! I tell my students I have a "pink" belt and no one should mess with me! They love to tell me there's no such thing...but I definitely do have a pink sparkle belt! hehe
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was always really skinny growing up (or really until getting pregnant), and I think that made it harder for me to know what to do when I did have to lose weight. My old clothes had been my motivation, but I have lost a lot and think my shape has just changed too much. How awesome that you are a yellow belt!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late
    Follow me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Having a highly experienced and skilled instructor, coupled with a great support group of friends as you exercise, is a great combo to getting fit indeed! Busy schedule and heavy workloads shouldn't stop anyone from being healthy, much like, they should even try to work out harder to battle the stress and fatigue. Sure, it will take a lot of motivation to start, and an equal amount to keep going, but with little accomplishments in your journey to keeping fit (like your newly acquired yellow belt), will keep you striving to achieve more! Congratulations!
    Trevor Linden Fitness

    ReplyDelete