expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, March 22, 2013

Lie Revealed and Friday Flashback!

Before I start my Friday Flashback and link up with the amazing Amanda from Teaching Maddeness, I wanted to reveal my LIE!  I was giggling reading the comments about which one my blogging buddies thought was the lie...hehe!
Again, here were three things about me (two truths and one lie)...post with pics is here

1.  My favorite vacation destination of all time is Walt Disney World in Orlando, FL!  
I first made the trip with my parents when I was 5 and my sister was 7 (my youngest sister wasn't born yet).  Since then, I have been back 8 times and always have a great time, no matter my age!  Right now, we are planning to take our own kids next year at ages 4 and 6.  
I can't wait!

2.  I worked at McDonald's for 5.5 years throughout high school and college.  I went back and forth working at my home time store and college store.  The time always went by fast and I love how busy it was.  During college I worked the 4:30 am to 1:00 pm shift on the weekends.  Try that schedule with a roommate who partied until 3:00 am!  Oh... the fire alarms in the middle of the night that happened frequently were great too:)  My husband and I even met working at McDonald's when I was 16 and he was 17!  

3.  Speaking of my husband, here we are at our wedding:)  He is my best friend and ONLY boyfriend I ever had in my life!  We started dating the summer after I graduated high school and dated all through college while attending colleges 100 miles away from each other.  
We never broke up and I have never had another boyfriend!


The lie was....#1!  Sadly, I have NEVER been to Disney! This is not really by choice but I have never had the chance to go:(  It was on my mind because I knew I wanted to take my two kids as soon as I felt they were old enough.  Well, next February they will be 4 and 6.  We just booked a one week trip to Disney for Feb. 2014!  Yay!!!  I am beyond excited for my little family:)  I will be emailing anyone who chose #1 to choose an item from my TPT store!

Now marching on....my Friday Flashback!  This week was like a blur.  It was the last week before a two week spring break in which the state tests are the second week we come back (ELA followed by math).  I was torn all week between my students, my own health, and my daughter's health.  

Monday:
This was the day after St. Patrick's Day and I just had to make some "positive character trait gold coins" like the ones I read about here on Ideas by Jivey.  She has quickly become one of my favorite bloggers!  Check her out:)  Mine are on basic yellow construction paper but I did laminate them since taking the picture and plan on putting them on the side of each student's desk.  They just loved playing scoot (I played with them!) and writing a positive character trait on each coin.  
There was a buzz of excitement when they were back at their desk and read their coin!  
 On the back of each coin, we glued this quote:
Wealth stays with us a little moment if at all,
Only our characters are steadfast, not our gold.
~Euripedes

Tuesday
I had an all day writing workshop on the modules for the Common Core.  I had to leave at the half day point to go home to my sick, feverish daughter:(  The workshop was great and I have a couple things I would like to share with everyone after I try them out.

Wednesday
Daughter still has the fever...hubbie stayed home.  This was 5th grade science fair week at our school.  The other grades always place science related projects in the hallway.  We still have our natural disasters projects (you can read about those here) on display and added the fourth graders "reuse projects" to the tables.  The students bring recyclables from home and repurpose them for another use.  It is wonderful to see their creativity!


Thursday
Daughter still has the fever (over 104 at night) and she went to grandma's....crying all morning for me to stay home.  It is so tough being a working mommy sometimes:( So torn!
We played King's M & M's to demonstrate the Stamp Act before the American Revolution.  I actually used skittles this year due to a peanut allergy in my room:)  I found this link to the directions.  When we play, the students who lose their M & M's (skittles) never get them back and I do not give them more candy.  We discuss this before beginning and I think it makes it more meaningful to have them feel a little hurt when their candy is taken away, knowing they won't get it back.  I tell them that they didn't "earn" the skittles, so it is not nearly as bad as the colonists losing money that they earned and need for their livelihood!  A student said to me this year, "I would rather lose money than skittles!" Haha!!

A room mother dropped off these darling Easter containers filled with jelly beans.  She works with adults with disabilities and they made these for us!  The bottles are recycled little water bottles and the color around the bottles is decorative duct tape.  Then there are white little paws over the duct tape.  Those are muffin cups for the tops with ears laminated and stapled to the cups.  Aren't they cute?  They made the little "goodie" bags I made them for Easter seem pretty lame.  I won't show you a picture of those!

Friday
Daughter STILL has the fever and we had to cancel her tonsillectomy that was scheduled for today.  I stayed home with her since I already had taken a sick day for the surgery.  My two week break started today and I was so pleased that we could have her surgery and I wouldn't have to worry about taking so much time off of work.  
Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans...
I have also been so sick this week and it was by the pure grace of God that I made it to Friday.  Finally, today I was able to go back to the doctor and got a stronger antibiotic this time to get rid of this sinus infection.  Better days are ahead:)

So, there is my week in a nutshell!  
I can't wait to knock some items off the to-do list over break:)
I started working on a little something today with the help of the super talented Michelle from 3am Teacher.  With her help, I should have a reply option soon in my comments I NOW have a reply option in my comments!  Yippee!!
Check out the 3am Teacher's post here about this add on!

I also have Michelle working on a linky button for my very first linky that I hope to start next Thursday!  I am planning a weekly Thursday linky...light and fun!  It is pretty nerve racking because I keep thinking that nobody will link up, but then I just decided to go for it.  What's the worst that can happen?  I hope you will stop back and see what I have planned:)



8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to participating in your Linky Party!
      Hope your daughter is feeling better soon!
      Bethany

      Delete
  2. Holly, I can't wait to come back next Thursday! Good luck in advance! Poor daughter-get well soon! I started my break today too, but I only get one week-I'm jealous! Enjoy!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only person who watches how-to videos for all this blog jazz! You would not believe how long it took me to figure out how to link my blog in a comment.. almost ridiculous!

    Hope your baby feels better soon! :)

    Mandy
    The 4th Grade Journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems we had a similar week - sick daughters. It is so hard to be a working mom sometimes. Thanks for coming over to my blog. I'll be sure to be here for your new Linky Party. Enjoy the start of break and I hope you and your daughter feel better soon.

    Jeanette
    Third Grade Galore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you and your daughter feel better soon. Can't wait to hear what your linky party will be - link up!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the King's M&Ms! We do it too! I hope you and your daughter feel better. Thanks for the sweet shout out. You're the best! I love reading your blog!! And you KNOW I'll link up. Others will too. Just give it time! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, I'm so sorry that you and your daughter have been so sick! It's so hard when our littles are sick! My daughter and youngest son were sick on Friday but luckily the went to my mother in laws. Mine are usually sick over the weekend, so that helps a little.

    You get 2 weeks for spring break? Take the time to get well, friend, and give your daughter some TLC!

    We did the King's M&Ms a while back too, and boy, did it make an impression!!! I think they got the point! ;O)

    I'm excited to know more about your linky! If I know in advance, I will try to link up!!

    (Yay for going to Disney!!! That will be so fun!! We are also waiting until ours are old enough to really enjoy it!)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete