expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Mentor Text Linky (similes)

I am linking up with two of my absolute favorite bloggers at 
Collaboration Cuties for their Mentor Text Linky again!  
You have to check out all the mentor texts being linked up!  This is especially useful for me since I consider this a weakness of mine after teaching 6th grade math for eight years.  
This week the subject is Language Arts.  
Amanda and Stacia will be organizing all the link ups on their blog by subject/topic on a separate page.  What an excellent resource for teachers!

I posted about this book already a few months ago, so I am cheating...a little:).
(I am going to blame my last day of spring break laziness on this one!).
I read Crazy Like a Fox to my students to introduce similes.  
Fourth graders still enjoy a great picture book (do we ever outgrow them??).  
I loved that the book had similes that continued onto the turn page so it left students guessing what might be the end of the sentence on the next page to complete the simile.  
Each simile had a fun, colorful illustration to go with it.  So, I had my class come up with their own similes and then write it on construction paper with an illustration.  Here are some of their simile illustrations:
 "A tennis racket on the basketball court is as useless as a shoe when you are starving."

 "The pumpkin guts are like slimy wet slugs."

 "Slugs are as slimy as an owl's pellet."

 "When babies eat cake they are as messy as hungry pigs."

 "LeBron James is as good of a basketball player as Babe Ruth was a baseball player."

"A boxer is as tough as a macho man lifting eight hundred pound weights."

You also have to check out sweet, talented Laura at Love to Teach (I Love this girl!).  
She is having a 400 Follower Giveaway!!  Go Laura!!!
 

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so so much for the shout-out, girl!! You are the best, and guess what - I am coming out with a unit all about figurative language so I will have to send it your way when I am done... it's not really started yet, so it may be a while ;) Love it (and I love Collaboration Cuties too!)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing how you use this wonderful book! Love your kids' writing and illustrations!

    Have a great week--
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love this book!! The kids really do like to guess what is coming!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey


    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this book too! And I had forgotten they had to guess the simile, probably because I lost this book (it was in my filing cabinet, in my figurative language binder, right where it was supposed to be, but I forgot that I put the books in there, of course!) so I didn't read it this year. :O( But, I still have time to read it after our state test!!


    I love your students' illustrations!! Enjoy your last few hours of spring break!!!! We just finally started ours!!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. My students love Crazy Like A Fox, and I love your students' similes! They are so creative. Thank you for sharing about the linky! I found out about the linky through you. I hope you have a blessed Sunday, too!

    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome book suggestion - I am going to be doing similes in two weeks and this will be a perfect addition to my unit - thanks for sharing!

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this book - I am adding it to my collection!
    Jenn
    DoodlingAroundin6thGrade

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a GREAT book! Thanks for the suggestion. LOVE the "pumpkin guts"... random idea! : )

    ~ Sarah
    Write On, Fourth Grade!

    ReplyDelete