expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Workshop Wednesday (Math Card Games)

Day one of math state testing done...two more to go!  
The students thought it was so "easy" today...that could be good...or BAD!  
I know you are nodding your head and saying, "yep!"
I am happy to link up with Jivey again for her wonderful Workshop Wednesday linky:)
This week's topic is math games with cards.
I have only recently started using playing cards a lot at centers.  
I know, I know...where have I BEEN?
Of course, I bought six packs of cards like these at Walmart.  
I wish I had checked the Dollar store.  Jivey said that she can get two packs for $1!
I picked up six different great card games that can be used just about any time throughout the year from two of my favorite bloggers, Amanda and Stacia, at Collaboration Cuties.  
You can read their post about them here.
Look at my students playing these games with partners at a center:)

I also wanted to share a quick game I play with flashcards and facts instead of a typical "Around the World".  With this game, students are engaged more often and it can be done when you just have a few minutes to spare.

1.  Students line up in two lines with the teacher facing the front of the two lines.  Have a cup on a desk or table for each group with some counters in the middle to pick up when they earn a point for their team.
2.  The two students in line next to each other say the answer to a flashcard that the teacher holds up.
3.  The student who says the answer first, places a counter in their team's cup.
4.  Both students go to the back of the line and the next two in line face off.
5.  The team with the most counters in their cups at the end wins.
*I discourage talking in the lines by warning the teams that if someone on their team is talking, they lose a counter from their cup.
**I also try to have one line be slightly shorter than the other line so that when students go through the line once, they have a different partner to face off to the next time around.

Check back at Jivey's Workshop Wednesday for more ideas on how to use cards in math!

5 comments:

  1. Ah sorry you didn't get the cards for less! Look for them this summer and stock up! That's what I do! My kids though the math section was easy today- let's hope that's a good thing! I'm with you. You never know.
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your variation of "Around the World" - it sounds way more engaging for all the students. I took need to re-stock my supply of cards this summer - and I plan on labelling them all in the hopes of being able to keep full decks organized(who am I kidding - I plan on making my daughters label them for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I have played that game with the kids in lines as well. You're right it is a little less boring for them when waiting their turn because they are rooting for their teammates.

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks for the shout out! I'm glad those games came in handy!! Yay!!

    I like the way you play around the world. I was scarred as a kid by around the world because one kid was always the winner. I was never fast enough. I choke under pressure, so this allows different teams to be winners and different kids to be, too! Yay! Win-win!!

    We had math testing today. It was exhausting, and all I was doing was watching!! Ugh!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took a tip from an NCTM presenter, and it saves me from worrying about complete decks and clean-up. I just dump all cards into a bucket and let students grab a handful for activities.
    I also have a FREE source of cards: ask friends, family, and students' families for any old decks they have around the house.

    ReplyDelete