expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tried It Tuesday (Save my Sanity Organizer)!!

 I am so saddened about the events in Boston.  
It is like a huge cloud hanging over our heads and my thoughts and prayers go out to all the families and friends who have loved ones affected by this tragedy.

We are on our fourth week of "Tried It Tuesday" and I love all the amazing ideas that bloggers are linking up!!  There are super talented educators linking up creative ideas that you will want to check out!
Thank you so much for linking up and for showing support by reading along or commenting:)  

Awesome linky button above designed by the talented Michelle at The 3am Teacher!
What is 'Tried It Tuesday'?
1.  Write a post about any"thing" you have...TRIED (new or old)!
2.  Describe what worked and maybe what didn't work.
3.  Keep it simple and focus on one general topic. 
You can link another idea next week:)
4.  Link your post back to this post.

My Tried It Tuesday:
File Organizer Pocket Chart

You would not believe how much the addition of this pocket chart has improved my organization sanity!!  
I snagged it for under $15 at Amazon!
It takes up no floor space and I have it hanging with thumbtacks pushed into a strip of cork at the top of my board.  There are three holes at the top of the pocket chart.  At first, I thought it wouldn't stay put, but it does!
It holds an amazing amount of papers!!  Seriously, I wouldn't have believed it myself.
As you can see, I have some pockets with multiple file folders.  There are 10 pockets total.  

Why has this little pocket chart made such a difference? It has saved my sanity because before I had a pathetic poor method for organizing the extra handouts for absent students or lost papers (sometimes "conveniently" lost:).  
Background:  I keep extra copies of assignments on hand because when students lose an assignment, they receive a new one and have to start the assignment over.  The same goes with papers that needed to be corrected and are lost.  It really cuts back on how many papers are "lost" after the first month or so of school.  
Every so often, I have students who chronically lose papers and they no longer have the privilege of getting a new one to write on.  They borrow an extra copy and write out the questions and answers on a separate paper:)  
I consider myself a fairly organized person so I don't know why I didn't fix my system sooner!  I used to keep extra papers in a metal organizer on a shelf behind the door but it always ended up crowded and was difficult to find the copies there.   When I was looking, I was usually annoyed because I was spending MY time looking for another copy of a paper that one student "conveniently" lost 
Although, I was determined that they would not get out of doing the assignment!  
Now, I have all the extra copies arranged by subject in their own little file in this hanging pocket chart.  I just tell the student to look for an extra copy in the folder when they have lost a paper (much to their chagrin)!  Love it!!  
There is plenty of room for some extra work on writing activities that are handouts.  I also have some extra math center activities here that won't fit in my drawer organizer.
Isn't it amazing how one little change can make such a difference in your day?
I hope you will link up one of your "Tried Its"!  
You never know who may be inspired by it:)

14 comments:

  1. Awesome linky--and awesome name! I started a linky too--it's once a month on the 15th. I would love to have you stop by, and even join. Come on over: it's all about the dollar. Anything you made, love, buy, sell or find that is only a dollar.

    www.ateacherwithoutaclass.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea. That is a great way to keep all of the extras organized - I usually throw them all in one basket - not so easy to find a particular page. What a great lesson you are teaching your students, that the "I lost it" excuse is not going to work! Now if only I could get my kids to stop using the "I did it, but I left it at home" excuse!
    Thanks so much for hosting this linky every week.

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your organizer! I am green with envy!!!
    I am also so thankful for your link idea. I am getting so many great ideas, but I love sharing mine as well. I got my 100th follower thanks to this linky party!

    THANKS HOLLY!!!!

    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started using one of these organizers in my room this year and I have fallen in love too! It is so easy and I'm amazed at how much they hold. I use mine for organizing my copies and handouts for the day's lessons (I blogged about it not too long ago). Your idea is fantastic! I just pile my extra copies in a basket and then spend a million years digging through them when it comes time to do makeup work! Looks like I'll be shopping for more organizers this summer. Thanks for the great idea - and the linky!

    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this linky! I can't wait to read what everyone else has tried this week!

    Weird that I have no thumbnail...but it's going to be okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your organizer- I have multiple places for papers too and it's too much. I will definitely look into one of those for next year.

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually have some similar hanging folders, but I haven't taken them out of the plastic yet! I have been wanting a better solution to my paper problems and this seems like it would work for me.

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm about to purchase these because I love this idea so much! I always am missing my ONE original and the other day I had to give my original away. :/ I wish my kiddos were more organized. Oh wait, maybe I should set a better example?? :)
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Holly! I put the wrong link on your linky party thing so can you delete the first one? :) It won't let me, I don't know why!! Thanks girl XOXO! Love your organizer, I wish I could get one for myself (I just don't know where to put it)! That's definitely perfect for the older grades to sort everything :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that hanging pocket thingy. Do you know where it is? Stuffed in a cabinet. Do you know where it should be? Hanging up where I can use it so I can get my stacks of paper off my desk...and table...and other table. I will HAVE to get it out for next year! I'm determined to be better organized next year!!

    Thanks for hosting friend!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw something like this in Really Good Stuff! Yours looks so neat and organized!

    Sarah MissKinBK

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's the simple things that make us happy right? As soon as you get one thing organized don't you want to start organizing everything??!! Thanks for hosting a great linky party Holly!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  13. Organizing files is one of the most common problem experienced by many. A file organizer won't do much to solve your problem with paper clutters without enough effort and discipline. I hope that making it pleasing to the eyes will inspire you to use them to keep your files in order.

    -Ruby Badcoe @ WilliamsDataManagement

    ReplyDelete